Saturday, November 27, 2010

Everyone Get on Your Desks So She Can't Leave!

Wednesday was my last day of student teaching; I think my students were trying to make me cry. Eighth graders are normally thought of as moody, hormonal teenagers, but I saw evidence of really sweet, cute children on my last day. Many of my students made me cards, brought me a soda, or some Chapstick (they know me well). The day started with my homeroom coming in and making me close my eyes and not look into the classroom; they had a surprise for me. When I entered my classroom this is what I saw.

They made this sign for me in art the previous day; it will now receive a prominent location in my dorm room this January.

As the day continued, I kept receiving more and more random little things. Nearly every student signed this giant card for me. (Those are some littler cards in the middle and a Dr. Pepper chapstick).

Furthermore, if given the opportunity, every student loves to write on the white board. They took advantage of my leniency on my last day and wrote goodbye messages all over the white board (I normally do not allow students to write on it). This is what it looked like by the end of the day.


One of my favorite stories of the day, happened in afternoon class with my homeroom. I took them outside to play and we went back in for them to get their stuff in the last few minutes. My rule is that every student has to be sitting in a chair before I dismiss them ("the bell does not dismiss you, I do). One student, J, that I have had a lot of trouble with, was sitting on his desk.

Me: Whenever J sits in his chair, I will dismiss you.
J: Quick! Everyone get on top of your desks so she can't leave.
(A few students get on top of their desks)
Me: I have to go guys! I cannot stay in Arizona. (Laughing and very flattered). Just leave; you guys can go.
Students: No! Don't go. (All rush to front of classroom and give me a giant group hug).

I came very close to tears at this point, but managed to hold it together. At the end of the day, I had a long line of students outside of my door to give me hugs and say their final goodbyes. I was anticipating some sort of sorrow over my departure, I was not expecting it at this level. This is the sort of the day that really shows me why I want to be a teacher in the first place and that I have what it takes to be a good one.

After all of the students left, I had to go up to the office to return my key. I went into my principal's office to say goodbye to him and Jodi was in there as well. Saying goodbye to them was truly the hardest part of leaving. I held it together all day, but I lost it at this point; tears poured out of my eyes and I could not stop it. I was truly blessed with such wonderful support from my mentor and my principal, not to mention the rest of the Bales staff. I feel incredibly lucky to have received such a unique and comprehensive (albeit bizarre) experience. I would not trade this for anything.


(Look for a post of thank you's very soon)

2 comments:

  1. What a great last day experience! Thats so awesome Tory! I'm proud and excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy it all worked out so well! :) How could they not love you?

    ReplyDelete